Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

I find it hard to absorb the idea that we're now in the year of our Lord Two Thousand and Ten.  The eighteen-year-old that is my inner self never believed I would get that old.

I have, though, which is a good thing.  I'm grateful for the life I get to live now--out in the country with my horses and my dogs and wonderful neighbors who share the same passions.  I love being able to talk about horses with others who love them and work with them daily.  It's not always an easy life--horses can be dumb and self-destructive, or else just downright unlucky.  Barometric changes in the weather can cause colic, and colic can be fatal.  Broken legs happen in the safest of pastures.  Loving a horse doesn't keep it safe, and you never know when you might face an unforeseen tragedy. 

I guess that sums up life in general, doesn't it?

But most days with horses are simply busy, often productive and, for me, a pleasure.  Warm muzzles, soft brown eyes gazing at me with trust and the expectation of a treat, strong shoulders and warm backs, solid butts and swishy tails...these contacts punctuate my outdoor time.  My herd gives me a reason to get up every morning and the feeling that I'm needed throughout the day.  Never mind the rain, mud or cold (it's supposed to be 38 degrees Farenheit for a high tomorrow), the blazing sun, torrid summer heat and stifling humidity (my personal worst weather choice)--the horses need feed and hay and exercise and that's what I do.  Every day, all day, all year.  Thank God.

I hope you have a busy and successful life to look forward to in this new year of ours, along with friends--animal or human--with whom to share.  I'm resolved to make my blog entries far more frequent in the coming months (a new computer will help with that) and I hope you'll check back often!

All the best,

Cheryl
    

No comments:

Post a Comment