Saturday, November 28, 2009

Two Weeks Later

We went for a drive yesterday...behind our very own pair of Cream Draft Horses!

Lucy and Joy are, in fact driving a carriage, after just two weeks in training.  I'm very, very proud of them, especially since they're only four and three years old.  Drafts are bred to work, so I guess once they accept the inevitable, the process goes pretty smoothly.

The day was gorgeous--chilly, with bright sunshine and a few colorful leaves still clinging to the trees.  We watched the girls being hitched up, then jumped in the back of the cart and took off to the sweet sound of clip-clopping hooves.  Lucy is still a little lazy, and had to be urged to pull her share of the weight.  Joy is the stoic--keeps her head down and just goes along until somebody tells her she can stop now.

The best part was when we left the street and turned into the woods.  No clip-clops on the sandy ground, but the sight of those creamy horses going along through the autumn landscape just thrilled me.  They turned corners and stood still very nicely.  And they were both very glad to reach the barn again!

I finally got to see the dent Lucy put in the trainer's truck fender.  Oh, my.  So much worse than I expected.  And I guess I'll be a little more careful when I go to pushing Lucy around when she gets stubborn.  Clearly, I'm not the one with the muscles in this situation!

All the best,

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment