Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Changes

And now it's the end of November...where does the time go?

We spent Thanksgiving with family in Atlanta.  I thought I would enjoy the break from feeding and exercising horses.  Instead, I found myself having horse-related nightmares, as I often do when I'm away. I miss seeing the guys and girls first thing in the morning, all of them eagerly waiting for me to dump food in their buckets.  I enjoyed being with the folks, but I'm glad to be home again.

Suzette has gone to live for a few months at a nearby barn which specializes in eventing, also known as horse trials.  These competitions involve dressage, stadium jumping and cross country riding, providing a thorough test of the horse's stamina, fitness and talent.  Suzy Q, as I call her, entered a schooling horse trial recently and did beautifully in dressage and stadium jumping--she came out tied for first place.  The cross country course did not appeal to her, however, and she dumped her rider at the 2nd jump.  No one was hurt, but I was disappointed--I'd wanted her to use her brain and not simply react, as she is prone to do.  The younger daughter will be working at the event barn and will get a lesson six days a week with Suzette, so they'll both come back with a lot of experience to call on.

I do miss that bright white head in my pasture, though.  At least the daughter still comes home every night.

Work has started up on the barn once more.  The walls are as high as the windows on three sides out of four.  Then they'll get the stone headers lifted into place above the windows and doors, the walls will top out at 12 feet and then--tah dah!--the second story can commence.

Why 12 feet, you ask?  To keep rearing horses from slamming their heads against the ceiling.  You never know when an equine will decide to get a taller view of the situation, so we're providing plenty of room.

While the bottom floor of the barn is built from concrete blocks (CMUs, or concrete masonry units, they are called in the profession,) the second story is built with traditional wood framing.  I'm told the work really goes quickly, once we get to that stage.  I'm not sure if we'll have a roof by Christmas, but I'm sure early in the New Year will give us a completed shell.  I'm really hoping to be moving in by April 1st. 

Wish me luck!

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment