Monday, March 30, 2009

Oops!

I've done the unforgivable in the World of Blog--I've let days go by without posting. Many days, in fact. My sincere and most abject apologies are offered. There is, however, a reason I've faltered.

Firefighters I've talked to watch "Backdraft" and notice all the mistakes; anyone who believes "Grey's Anatomy" shows how doctors really work needs to spend some time in the hospital.

And when I read or watch horses portrayed in unrealistic ways (like the animated movie in which horses lapped water like dogs--they don't) or when riders perform impossible feats (Zorro dropping 20 feet down into the saddle, as if either he or the horse would emerge uninjured) well, I get annoyed.

So I offered an online class through my local writing chapter on horse facts. I thoroughly enjoyed doing the research--spending hours every day looking at photos of horses, reading articles, viewing paintings and prints and historic writings. Though I haven't been blogging, I have been immersed in the horse!

One of the great sources I discovered in my work was the International Museum of the Horse, located at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky. In addition to their on site exhibits, the museum has a terrific online presentation, "The Legacy of the Horse," which covers the evolution and domestication of horses around the world. Illustrated with contemporary paintings, drawings and photographs, this survey of horse history is a joy to absorb. The site also offers an encyclopedia of horse breeds, indexed by the name of the breed and by the part of the world where the breed originates. How cool is that?

Of course, amazing feats are possible with horses. Check out this video of Lorenzo the Flying French Man with his beautiful Camargue horses:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/381375/lorenzo_the_flying_french_man/

Poetry in motion.

Cheryl

No comments:

Post a Comment